Identity theft in California is a wobbler, which means that the offense may be punished as either a misdemeanor or a felony.
If punished as a felony, you may face:
- Up to three years in county jail, and/or
- A maximum $10,000 fine.
If punished as a misdemeanor, you face:
- Up to one year in a county jail, and
- A maximum $1,000 fine.
- And if you are prosecuted under the federal identity theft law, you face increased fines and up to 30 years in federal prison.
How can we defend you against charges of California Penal Code 530.5 PC Identity Theft?
Some common legal defenses to identity theft include (but are not limited to):
- You didn’t use the information in connection with an unlawful purpose,
- You didn’t have criminal intent, and/or
- You were the victim of mistaken identity or false accusations.
We have been successfully defending clients facing all types of criminal charges in Sonoma and Marin Counties, since 1992.
The 100 Trial Lawyers Association has recognized us as one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the country!
Please call our office today at (707) 571-8600 in our centrally located Santa Rosa office in Sonoma County or call our office in San Rafael in Marin County at (415) 492-4507 to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation.
Don’t bargain with your freedom! The right attorney makes all the difference between your freedom and incarceration!