Penal Code 626.9 and 626.10 make it a crime to bring guns or other weapons onto school grounds, such as:
- Kindergarten through K-12 schools;
- any private university;
- the University of California;
- the California State University; or
- the California Community Colleges.
Any gun is prohibited on school grounds. The weapons that are prohibited on school grounds are:
- stun guns,
- a dirk or dagger,
- an ice pick,
- a knife having a blade longer than 2 ½”,
- a folding knife with a blade that locks into place, or
- a switch blade or butterfly knife (which are illegal to possess on their own).