What are the factors or elements for 597 PC Animal Abuse?
Under 597 PC, you are prohibited from:
- Maliciously, intentionally, or cruelly
- Maiming (that is, disabling or disfiguring),
- Torturing (that is, inflicting unnecessary and/or unjustifiable pain or suffering), or
- Wounding a living animal,
- Maliciously, intentionally, or cruelly killing an animal,
- Depriving an animal of necessary food, drink, or shelter (or failing to protect an animal from severe weather conditions), and/or
- Riding, driving, overworking, or otherwise using the animal when it is unfit for labor.
And because law enforcement agencies aren’t typically present to witness these types of violations, they encourage the public to report these crimes. Many animal rights’ organizations, law enforcement agencies, and prosecution offices have on-line reporting pages and/or telephone hotlines that are available to the public.
*Licensed veterinarians are also under obligation to report suspected incidents of animal abuse / neglect.*
How can we defend you against charges of 597 PC Animal Abuse?
Legal defenses include:
- Self defense /defending another person, you needed to stop the animal from attacking you or another person.
- False accusation – you did not commit the reported instance of animal abuse.
- Lack of intent – you did not maliciously or intentionally harm the animal.
We have been successfully defending clients facing all types of criminal charges in Sonoma and Marin Counties, since 1992.
The 100 Trial Lawyers Association has recognized us as one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the country!
Please call our office today at (707) 571-8600 in our centrally located Santa Rosa office in Sonoma County or call our office in San Rafael in Marin County at (415) 492-4507 to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation.
Don’t bargain with your freedom! The right attorney makes all the difference between your freedom and incarceration!