Call us For A Free Consultation

Santa Rosa 707-571-8600 | San Rafael 415-492-4507

How Can You Get Probation In Your Criminal Case?

By December 8, 2017 August 31st, 2020 Criminal Defense

If you are sentenced to jail time, your entire life could change. Not only will you lose your liberty you could also lose your job or career. However, you may be able to stay out of jail by seeking probation.
If you are granted probation, you could live at your home, keep your job and not have to deal with all of the adverse consequences that occur when you sit in jail.
So, how can an experienced criminal defense attorney help you receive probation as part of your sentence or prior to your case being heard?
California courts are given wide discretion when it comes to sentencing. The judge will take into account a number of factors, including the severity of the crime for which you were convicted and your prior criminal history (if any). Are you a first time offender?  
The court is more likely to be lenient with your sentence if:
-Your crime was not a serious one that involved death or serious bodily injury to another person, and
-You have no history of prior criminal convictions
There are a number of ways to get probation as part of your sentence. First, consult with an experienced and skillful criminal defense attorney. Your lawyer will review your case, assess the pertinent factors, and develop a recommendation that persuades the court to grant you a term of probation in lieu of jail.
Your attorney can then take a few different approaches. He or she can approach the prosecutor and determine whether a plea agreement can be made to keep you out of jail. In some cases, prosecutors are open to probation as part of a “plea deal” because it avoids the necessity of having to try the case.
As part of a plea bargain, you will be required to plead guilty or no contest to some criminal charge against you. This is one way your lawyer can help you secure probation instead of going to jail.
Another tactic is to make the case for probation to the judge at your sentencing. At sentencing, your attorney can argue that your punishment should only be in the form of probation and not jail. Your lawyer can call witnesses to testify about your good character and explain any mitigating factors that will support probation as an appropriate punishment in your case.
Contact the Criminal Defense Attorneys at Fiumara & Milligan Law Today
If you would prefer probation over JAIL time in your case, you should contact a skilled and experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. At Fiumara & Milligan Law, our knowledgeable criminal defense lawyers have been helping satisfied clients obtain probation in criminal cases for more than 25 years.
With offices in both Sonoma and Marin Counties, there is an experienced criminal defense attorney conveniently available to help you no matter where you are located.
Contact our offices today at 707-571-8600 or 415-492-4507 for a free consultation and find out how we can help YOU!
The Right Attorney Makes All The Difference!
For more info on probation violations in Sonoma or Marin Counties, CLICK HERE

Michael A. Fiumara

About Michael A. Fiumara

Leave a Reply

Call Now
Text Us